Thursday, August 14, 2008

Undersung heroes

We’re all looking for a great doctor--who exhibits our idealized blend of expertise and compassion--but anyone who’s spent any time in a cancer clinic or hospital knows it’s the support staff that often makes the difference.

I’ve been consistently blown away over the past five years by some of the nurses, phlebotomists, schedulers, and techs who have helped take care of me. Their kindness and humor has eased the journey.

From the nurse on the transplant ward who played Scrabble with me in the middle of a scary night two years ago to the tech who scored my sister a highly coveted recliner last week, I can’t thank you enough.

Pictured here are Carolyn (above) and Marie (to the left), two phlebotomists at George Washington University who take the sting out of getting stung.